Forest Park in St. Louis, Missouri, opened in 1876 and the former site of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition of 1904, (better known as "The World's Fair") is one of the large urban landscape parks created during the later 19th century, following the example of Central Park in New York City. At 1,293 acres (5.2 km²), Forest Park is over 50% larger than New York's Central Park (843 acres or 3.41 km²). Forest Park was originally miles west of St. Louis' city boundaries. The park was dedicated June 24, 1876. On a day in which the temperature reached nearly 90 degrees, an estimated 50,000 residents of a city with a population somewhat more than 300,000 attended opening ceremonies. Many came in carriages while many others rode the train from the city, on track which had opened less than a week before. A crowd gathered near the new music stand, was entertained by a variety of music and listened to speakers who praised the new park.